Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why I rejected Greek offer – Onwuachi

Nigerian-born Kavala of Greece striker Benjamin Onwuachi has said that he
rejected an offer to play for the Greek national team because he is not ready to commit his international future to any country at the moment.



Onwuachi was reportedly approached by Greece officials to play for their national team after his goal scoring exploits in the eastern European country.
The 26-year-old former Juventus striker has spent five years in Greece and is currently second highest goal scorer in the Greek topflight with 10 goals. 
“Yes they (Greece officials) approached me two years ago and even though I am still thinking about it, I don’t want to play for them. Honestly, I am not interested in playing for any national team now,” Onwuachi told our correspondent on the telephone on Tuesday. 
Onwuachi added that although he had been shunned by Nigeria, he was happy to serve the country in other ways.
“God knows why I have not been able to play for Nigeria but I am happy serving my country in other ways with the Gabrielle Onwuachi Foundation, which was formed in memory of my late daughter.”


By Tana Aiyejina
source: PUNCH